Sports 4 has been providing the Ottawa area with quality athletic footwear, clothing and accessories for 30 years.
At Sports 4, you will find various brands of shoe and apparel lines, including; Asics, UnderArmour, New Balance, Saucony, Brooks, Adidas, Mizuno, Umbro, and many more. All of our employees are highly trained to ensure that our customers are properly fit for their particular feet and shown the footwear and clothing that is appropriate for the activity that they are doing.
While Sports 4 has always been known for shoes, we are also home to a diverse selection of clothing and accessories for the active athlete. Technical running clothing, workout gear for the gym or yoga wear, swim wear and accessories; you will find it all at Sports 4!
Our Bank Street location offers seasoned staff who are avid and passionate runners. The selection of swimwear and swim accessories is one of the best in the city. It is our flagship location, proudly serving clientele for more than 30 years.
New Balance Ottawa
While you will still always find a great selection of New Balance shoes at Sports 4, New Balance Ottawa is the showcase store for all New Balance products in Eastern Ontario, including New Balance associated brands, Dunham and Aravon. You will also find NB store exclusive items at this location. And of course you will receive the same high level of service that we are known for!
Why a New Balance concept store you may ask? Aside from the fact that the New Balance philosophy is in line with ours – they are socially responsible and committed to North American manufacturing – what really sets them apart is the fact that almost all of their shoes are available in multiple widths, thus allowing a better and more comfortable fit for our customers!
How We Began
We’ve come a long way from our humble beginnings in 1982 at 139 Bank Street:
- 1982: With a meager 1,100 square feet and two models of running shoes, we served the running community with a staff of two part-timers and two full-timers.
- 1994: We doubled in size by moving to our existing downtown location, 149 Bank Street.
- 1999: We opened a new store in the Kanata Centrum to better serve our west-end customers.
- 2003: While we have always carried all of the top brands (Asics, Adidas, Nike, and so on), there is no question that New Balance has always been our dominant brand. So in 2003, it was a natural progression for us to open our New Balance (NB) concept store, aptly named New Balance Ottawa. Centrally located in College Square (corner of Woodroffe and Baseline), we occupy 3,500 square feet and stock over 5,000 pairs of NB shoes and a wide selection of apparel, including some exclusive items to the NB Ottawa store!
- 2010: Today, we have over 6,000 square feet between the two Sports4 stores and more than 10,000 pairs of shoes, not to mention the thousands of apparel and accessory items.
Over the years we have grown, but throughout this time our commitment has remained the same: we are dedicated to providing our clients with the best experience and superior products to meet their specific needs.
We are very proud and honoured to have been able to serve our customers for the last 27 years, and we look forward to continuing to do just that for years to come!
Our mission is to provide an extensive selection of products combined with an exceptionally high standard of service, at very competitive pricing.
We promise to offer:
- the right product that fits/meets your needs, to the best of our ability;
- unequalled service from our knowledgeable and highly trained sales associates;
- reasonably and competitively priced merchandise;
- a vast and dynamic selection of products;
- an enjoyable and positive store experience, to the very best of our ability.
Sports 4 has always been a haven for the running community. Our selection of shoes, clothing and accessories for the runner far exceeds any other store in Eastern Ontario.
For those who prefer to work out at the gym or walk, we carry a very wide selection of walking and cross-training shoes.
Whether it’s our inventory of over 15,000 pairs of shoes between our 3 stores, or the fact that we measure feet and do individual gait analysis, service has, and always will be, the most important element of what we do. All of our employees are highly trained to ensure that our customers are properly fit for their particular feet and shown the footwear that is appropriate for the activity that they are doing.
About the Owner
Jim Macfarlane’s sporting career started at the tender age of 14. Even at this young age his business aptitude and personal drive was strong. Despite Jim’s parents’ objections (they wanted him to focus on school), he applied for a part-time job at a sporting goods store in Montreal. Jim admired the store owner’s work ethic and dreamed of one day owning his own store. He learned the value of exceptional customer service, hard work, and that you should always do what you love. The entrepreneurial seed had been firmly planted.
Years later, equipped with a Commerce degree, Jim’s keen interest for the sports industry led him to apply for a job at Sports 4. This job opportunity translated into a business partnership, and eventually into Jim buying out his partner’s remaining shares to become sole owner.
Jim is equally as proud as he is passionate about his business. He feels fortunate to have been able to serve and support the Ottawa community, and looks forward to continuing to do so for many years to come.